The thing that makes vampires, well…vampires, is their ability to drink blood. They drain their victims of the precious life fluid to feed. But here’s the thing, the human body isn’t adapted for digesting blood.
While small quantities may be harmless, anyone who consumes blood regularly runs a risk of haemochromatosis (iron overdose) or contracting blood-borne diseases if they’re sourcing it from other people.–Megan Gannon on Real-Life ‘Vampire’ Addicted to Blood
Small quantities can be broken down into proteins, iron, and amino acids, but too much iron can be extremely dangerous and can be deadly. Symptoms of an iron overdose are:
- Blood in stools or black colored stools. This is a sign of bleeding from the gastro intestinal tract.
- Abdominal pain.
- Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Vomiting blood.
- Metallic taste in the mouth.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Rapid heartbeat.
- Low blood pressure.
- Convulsions or fits.
- Dizziness, headache and drowsiness.
- Liver damage.
Iron poisoning aside, there’s also blood-borne diseases such as HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, and viral hemorrhagic fevers to consider.